IAHS member stores are known throughout Ireland for our singular commitment to the quality of the advice we offer, springing from our deep desire to offer real health improvements to our communities. To this end, IAHS member stores engage in a comprehensive training initiative that incorporates induction, ongoing training and further development.
It is a requirement of membership that all IAHS members and staff, responsible for advising customers, be fully trained in the use and application of the IAHS Customer Care Protocol. New members are required to have all staff responsible for advising customers fully trained in the use of the Customer Care Protocol.
There is also a requirement that all IAHS stores must have at least one member of staff present trained to Diploma level, in order to ensure a consistent offering of high quality health advice across all member stores.
IAHS CUSTOMER CARE PROTOCOL
1. To provide a standard of responsible behaviour for workers in the health food trade when dealing with customers’ health problems. Clear procedures will
• Help staff to assist customers in making appropriate choices.
• Enable staff to advise customers with more confidence.
• Prevent staff in health shops from giving incorrect or inappropriate advice.
2. To help consumers of health products to take responsibility for their health. The questions in the protocol and the answers elicited from customers will
• Encourage customers to think more carefully about the choices they are making.
• Demonstrate to customers that health shop staff act responsibly.
• Help to educate consumers about appropriate use of our products.
3. To establish a recognised professional procedure for dealing with customer health queries to be applied consistently across all member stores in order to
• Demonstrate in a practical manner our commitment to protecting the health of our customers.
• Reinforce the air of professionalism that should pervade all IAHS stores
IAHS CERTIFICATE IN HEALTHFOOD RETAILING
Module 1 – SELLING Module
Successful Retail Selling
Module 2 – NATURAL HEALTH SALES Module
Selling to Customers’ Conditions:
OTC Herbal Medicines
Other Herbal Remedies
OTC Non-indicated Homoeopathic Medicines
OTC Indicated Homoeopathic Medicines
Selling to Diet and Lifestyle
Selling Other Products
Module 3 – HANDLING STOCK Module
Procedures when Handling Stock
Module 4 – HEALTH & SAFETY AT WORK Module
Responsibilities for Health and Safety in Store
IAHS DIPLOMA IN HEALTHFOOD RETAILING
Module 1 -Vitamin and Mineral Fact File
Fact File Questions
Fact File answers
Assignment 1 – Mineral Supplements in Store
Module 2 -Health Food Principles
Assignment 2 – An Alternative Therapy
Module 3 -Homoeopathy Text
Assignment 3 – Homoeopathic Sales
Module 4 -Herbal Text
Assignment 4 – Herbal Sales
Module 5 -Retail Business Management
Assignment 5 – Merchandising
Module 6 -Consideration of a Code of Practice
An Holistic Approach
Specific Diseases and Treatments
Module 7 – Physiology of the Human Body + Questions and Answers
Natural Beauty Products and Skin + Questions and Answers
Module 8 – Health and Safety